Articles about Holocaust Rescuers and Other Holocaust heroes
The following is a select list of articles written in English which discuss the lives and actions of Holocaust rescuers and other heroes of the Holocaust. It is intended as a supplement to the main Holocaust rescuers listing of books on the subject of Holocaust rescuers, and the select list of film/video/DVD resources about Holocaust rescuers.
- Agar, Herbert, "Christian who Dared Death to Save Jews: How Thousands of Jews Escaped Nazis," Jewish Digest, 1961, 6(8),17-20.
- Arnal, Oscar L., "Catholic Roots of Collaboration and Resistance in France in the 1930s," Canadian Journal of History,1982 (April), 87-110.
- Arnold, David, "Quiet Hero of the Holocaust," The Boston Globe,
October 21, 1990, magazine section, 20-38.
A wonderful extended article about Walter Süskind, a Dutch rescuer who fraternized with the Nazi in charge of deportations while secretly rescuing thousands of Jewish children.
- Baron, Lawrence, "Christianities of Complicity and Compassion: Religious Responses to the Holocaust," Plenary Lecture, Rocky Mountain- Great Plains Regional Meeting of the American Academy of Religion, University of Nebraska-Omaha, April 17, l993. (Lecture not yet submitted for publication.)
- Baron, Lawrence, "The Mobilization of Moral Outrage: Socialist and Calvinist Networks for Rescuing Jews in the Netherlands during the Holocaust," Pacific Sociological Association Conference, San Francisco, April 9, l995 (Lecture not yet submitted for publication.)
- Bauer, Yehuda, "Christian Behavior During the Holocaust," Jewish Spectator, 1978, 43(3), 17-21.
- Berenbaum, Michael. "The Mystifying Burden of Goodness," Dimensions: A Journal of Holocaust Studies, Vol. 5, No. 3: 18.
- De Jong, Pieter, "Response of the Churches in the Netherlands to the Nazi Occupation," in Michael D. Ryan's (ed.) Human Responses in the Holocaust: Perpetrators and Victims. Bystanders and Resisters. New York: E. Mellen, 1981.
- Drinan, Robert F., "The Christian Response to the Holocaust" Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 1980, 450,179-189.
- Eckardt, Alice L., "Christian Responses to the Holocaust," in R.S. Hirt and T. Kessner's Issues in Teaching the Holocaust: A Guide. New York: Yeshiva Univ. Press, 1981, pp. 69-95.
- Fisher, E.J., "Holocaust and Christian Responsibility," America, 1981, 14 (February), 118-121.
- Fogelman, Eva, "Moral Heroes of Our Times: Christian Rescuers," America, 1989, 9 (December), 426-429.
- Friedlander, Saul, "An Extraordinary Catholic Childhood," Commentary 1979, 76(4), 57-66.
- Grob, Leonard., "Rescue during the Holocaust—and today," Judaism Winter 1997.
- Henry, Patrick, "Banishing the Coercion of Despair: Le Chambon-Sur-Lignon and the Holocaust Today"
- Henry, Patrick, "Why We Must Teach the Rescuers When We Teach the Holocaust," First Things, 1999
- Monroe, Kristen, R., "A Different Way of Seeing Things: What We Can Learn From the Rescuers of Jews," Dimensions: A Journal of Holocaust Studies, Vol. 7, No. 1: 13.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "Hesed and the Holocaust." Journal of Ecumenical Studies, 1986, 23(1), 90-106.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "Sparks of light." in R. Libowitz (ed.) Faith and freedom, Oxford: Pergamon, 1987, pp. 45-69.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "The altruism of the righteous gentiles." Holocaust & Genocide Studies, 1988, 3(2), 187-196.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "Radical altruism." Midstream, 1987, 33(4), 35-39.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "To the righteous among the nations who risked their lives to rescue Jews." Yad Vashem Studies, 1988, 19, 403-425.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "Fear and comfort: The plight of hidden Jewish children in wartime Poland." Holocaust and Genocide Studies, 1991, 6(4), 397-413.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "Mordecai Paldiel." in Harry J. Cargas Voices from the Holocaust Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky, 1993; pp. 46-55.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "Children on the run." Dimensions, 1993, 7(1), 20-24.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "The righteous among the nations: A new dimension in the annals of humanitarianism." in G. B. Ginzel Mut Zur menschlichkeit, Koln: Rheinland-Verlag, 1993, pp. 157-170.
- Paldiel, Mordecai. "The rescue of Jewish children in Poland and the Netherlands." in A. L. Eckardt, Burning memory: Times of testing & reckoning. Oxf ord: Pergamon, 1993, pp. 119-139.
- Schulweis, Harold. "The Fear and Suspicion of Goodness," Dimension: A Journal of Holocaust Studies, Vol. 5, No. 3: 23.
- Schulweis, Harold. "The Moral Art of Memory," Dimensions: A Journal of Holocaust Studies, Vol. 7, No. 1: 7.
- Tec, Nechama, "Sex Distinctions and Passing As Christians During the Holocaust" East European Quarterly, 1984, 18, 113-123.
A thoughtful article that explores the significance of the rescuers' actions to practitioners of various disciplines, as well as to all of humanity.
For suggestions, corrections, and additions, contact Mark Klempner at email@example.com.
Updated November 2010